Total allocation: €11.5 million • Allocation to Active Citizens Fund: €2,7 million
The overall objectives of the Active Citizens Fund Cyprus programme are to have civil society and active citizenship strengthened and vulnerable groups empowered. The programme supports the following areas: democracy, active citizenship, good governance and transparency, human rights and equal treatment through combating any discrimination on the grounds of racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity and promoting social justice and inclusion of vulnerable groups.
The programme is foreseen to have one open call for proposals (Open Call 2021) aiming for the following outcomes:
- Outcome 1: Increased citizen participation in civic activities
- Outcome 2: Vulnerable groups empowered
- Outcome 3: Enhanced capacity and sustainability of civil society (organisations and the sector)
The Active Citizens Fund Cyprus programme also contributes to the following country specific priorities:
Strengthening Capacity and Sustainability of the Civil Society Sector
A key priority of the programme is to develop the long-term sustainability and capacity of the civil society sector in Cyprus, particularly towards projects that also include less experienced, smaller organisations.
Ensuring Outreach to Underserved Geographic Areas and Target Groups
The programme encourages applications for funding from entities based in rural, under-served regions of the island and those whose activities are directed towards under-served and hard-to-reach target groups.
Actively Supporting Bicommunal Cooperation and Fostering intercultural Dialogue
The programme has a strong focus on the empowerment and capacity building of civil society in Cyprus, through the support towards projects that strengthen intercultural dialogue, peace and bicommunal partnership and cooperation.
The Active Citizens Fund Cyprus aims to contribute to strengthening bilateral relations between civil society and other entities in Cyprus and entities in the donor states Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway (Donor project partner).
Strengthening bilateral relations within the Active Citizens Fund Cyprus can be achieved in two ways:
- Open Call (2021): Applicants are encouraged to include partnerships with Donor project partners as part of their project application for the Open Call.
- Bilateral Fund Open Call: Applicants are encouraged to include a partnership with a Donor project partner as part of their project application for the Bilateral Fund Open Call. The Bilateral Fund Open Call will be published in 2022.
Active Citizens Fund 2014-2021 in Cyprus is operated by the consortium of the NGO Support Centre and GrantXpert Consulting.
More information is available on the Active Citizens Fund Cyprus website.